Follow Piggs Peak Town Council on Facebook Follow Piggs Peak Town Council on Facebook Follow Piggs Peak Town Council on Twitter


Finance Department

How Often Are Rates Levied on Rateable Properties?

This is done once a year, within the first three months of a new financial year.

When Do Rates Become Due and Payable?

They become due and payable at the expiry of thirty (30) days from the date of issue of the rates bill (invoice) to the property owner. The ratepayer may pay part or all of the rates due before the due date.

Rates payers are encouraged to approach Council in order to enter into an instalment arrangement, effectively spreading payment over the remainder of the financial year ending 31st March. Please note that it is not enough to only secure the instalment agreement but property owners are expected to honour the agreement by paying the agreed amounts on the agreed dates, otherwise it counts for nothing.

The advantages of entering into and honouring one’s instalment arrangements are as follows;

  1. You will not be sent a letter of final demand asking you to pay within a stipulated time frame, failing which legal action will be taken against you.
  2. You will not be sent a certified statement notifying you that a judgement has been obtained against you for not paying your rates on time.
  3. The balance sitting on your property account will not attract the statutory 15% per annum interest for late payment. It will also not attract the additional 15% penalty to cover Council’s collection costs in the event that your account gets handed over to our rates collectors.

What is the Purpose of Submitting your valid Postal Address to Council?

Section 37(4) and (5) of the Rating Act (1995) states that “The owner/s of any immovable property shown in the valuation roll shall notify the local authority of his or her personal address within two weeks of acquiring such property and, thereafter, within two weeks of any change of his personal address”.

Any property owner who fails to comply with this clause shall be guilty of an offence. All property owners who fail to furnish Council with their postal addresses where their bills should be sent, will have their names and the rates balances published in the local newspapers.

What is the Purpose of the Rates Clearance Certificate?

A rates clearance certificate signifies that all rates due and payable have in fact been paid. A property owner who has settled all rates due may request for a rates clearance certificate by filling in the request form at the Council Offices. There is a fee which the Council charges to recoup costs of issuing this document. This document remains valid for the remainder of the current financial year.

A rate clearance certificate may be issued for the following purposes;

  1. Transfer of immovable property in terms of the Rating Act, 1995
  2. Request of financial assistance from financial institutions
  3. Application for subdivision
  4. Audit purposes

Why conduct property valuation?

For purposes of assessing the rates of all immovable property within a urban area, a valuation is required to be undertaken at least once every five (5) years and this culminates into a valuation roll, as stated in the Rating Act, 1995. For Pigg’s Peak town, the general valuation was last done in 2013/14 and effected on 1st April 2014. The next valuation will be done in during 2018/19 financial year and be effected on the 1st April 2019.

After the valuation roll has been certified, does the office of the Treasurer have power/authority to change the property value(s) due to specific reasons?

The answer is no, once the general valuation roll has been certified in line with Section of the Rating Act (1995), it becomes a working document until the next general valuation or supplementary valuation takes place.

Engineering Department

What is the process of submitting a building plan?

Property owners and authorised representatives of property owners are encouraged to visit the Engineering Department before beginning the process of preparing building plans in order to find out about the applicable town planning requirements. Information covering issues such as building lines, permissible plot coverage, zoning of property as well as number of permitted units per plot can be obtained from this department.

As part of plan submission, property owner must attach the following documents:

  1. 4 copies of the locality plan
  2. 4 copies of the building plan (1 copy must be colour coded in the permitted architectural colours)
  3. 4 copies of the site plan
  4. 1 copy of Building Application Form (Form A)
  5. 1 copy of Proof of Ownership
  6. Application Fee (which is calculated for the property owner on submission of the plans)

Environment & Public Health Department

Why is it necessary for residents and institutions to submit litter bin application?

It is necessary for all of the town’s residents and institutions to have their own litter bin for disposal and collection of refuse. Residents are therefore encouraged to visit our offices in order to fill in a litter bin application form that will detail all their information, to facilitate  refuse collection for newly applied bins.

It should be noted that Council does not provide bins, thus residents are encouraged to purchase their own litter bins except where a skip has been applied for.

Why food grading?

The Council conducts food grading in all food outlets located within the urban area for purposes of public health. This exercise enables the business community to evaluate themselves with regards to their food hygiene standards and if concerns are raised, they are encouraged to improve from poor grades to good grades. The public, through the displayed food grades in all food outlets, is able to make an informed decision regarding where they can buy food items.

How are condemned food items are disposed of?

A Health Inspector is mandated by law to ensure safe and proper disposal of any food items that have been condemned from a food outlet. The Council therefore ensures that condemned food items are properly buried at the landfill, in order to prevent any incidents of scavenging.

AMICAALL & Social Services

What is Council doing to address the challenges faced by the orphaned and vulnerable children?

Social centres have been established to provide health, physical, social, psychological, educational and emotional development to orphaned and vulnerable children (aged 1-6 years), in centres located at Malandalahle, Macambeni and Mangwaneni.

How does Council provide protection to orphaned and vulnerable children?

Council provides protection to orphaned and vulnerable children through a structure known as Lihlombe Lekukhalela- A shoulder to cry on. This is done by way of providing referrals and psycho-social support to the abused and traumatized children in line with the Child Protection Act, 2012.